Saturday, June 20, 2009

Because I'm bored.

Ever notice this blog gets updated every so quickly during exam periods? Yes I've mentioned this before.. Duration to the next exam and the frequency of updates to this blog is inversely proportional with a convexity of xx which states that the the reduce in duration to exam is matched by an increase in updates in blog updates in an increasing rate. Yes its investment.. I stupidly studied bonds like a stupid idiot, to have not a stupid single question come out from stupid bonds.. Whats with that stupid 10 marks stupid option ques?

My blog seem to be nothing but rants these days. Rants is what I do best.. Weather, Malaysians, H1N1 flu, nothing seems to escape my rants.. Todays rant is about tertiary education. Not Monash in particular, but overall education in university. I've complained about the admin staff last time, now here comes the academic staff.

Its absurd that we are paying $20,000 (RM55,000) per year to our lovely university for lousy education. No wonder graduates these days are unemployed. Honestly, because we're not the ones paying out of our own pockets, and because our parents arent there with us in the crappy lectures and tutes, everything seems to go smoothly.

The fact is, university today isnt what it should be, or what is meant to be. Lecturers and tutes fulfill the role of mere information readers and givers. May I ask, no, demand, to know where is the discussion and debate of topics, beyond the scope of examination? Most lecturers and tutors these days fulfill the role like high school teachers - teach straight out from the book, read and explain straight out from the lectures. It bewilders me to hear that because a certain section is not going to come out in the exams, it wont be gone through. or even worse, when a student asks question in more detail, the tutor answers that is not examinable so he (the student) doesn't have to know. ABSOLUTELY F**KING RIDICULOUS. I was in that tute, and plan to lodge a complain against that tutor once my semester is over.

Its not only the lecturer and tutors sometime.. Honestly, I can see why the Australians sometimes hate international students.. I wonder how some student with horrible hopeless command of english can pass their exams. Presentation might as well be stoning in silence time hearing a horrible presentation in a language which is supposed to be english. I'm not blasting u international students (mayb I am), but I am one myself. But here's the fact: international students ruin the learning environment with their lack of participation or discussion.

There are some units which are meant to be disputed and debated in class, questions asked, and answers questioned. Fill it with 90% international students out of which 80% has horrible english and you get a class where I stone at you and you stone at me. Throw in a tutor who doesn't actually know more than the textbook and answers students queries with 'you dont need to know' and you get the worse possible outcome.

I have had some of the best lecturers and tutors under Monash, which I'm ever grateful for. Unfortunately I've been under some of the worse (see above for example) as well. I bet most people haven't given a thought of how education should be like. Its certainly not accepting "facts". There's no such thing as "facts". Whatever we're learning has been formulated by another person before us, and its our job and duty as students, to take it up and improve on it.

I've held back blogging alot of issues in fear before this. Things has changed. I have changed. And I am seeking a change.

Logging off,
Lawy3rz

0 comments: